Saturday 22 June 2013

Beach Baby and Frog Cupcakes

I made these a few years ago for a party in the summertime. I made the beach baby just because they were seasonal and the frog ones were made because they were just so cute! I got the idea from a book from the Australian Women's Weekly that I picked up there on holiday once. They're so simple but look soooo cute!! One batch of icing (listed on a previous post) is plenty to cover two batches of cupcakes as each one doesn't require anywhere near as much frosting as they would if you were piping it!
 
The beach baby ones were so simple. I just made a vanilla cupcake batter and a batch of vanilla buttercream and sprinkled over some light muscavado sugar to resemble sand. I topped them with a Liquorice Allsort beach mat and a jelly baby to be my little sunbather. I didn't have any cocktail umbrellas (or I'd have used them) to be parasols so had to improvise with some petit four cases and cocktail sticks, secured together with a small blob of fondant.
 
The frog cupcakes are even simpler! I baked a batch of vanilla cupcakes and used the vanilla buttercream with a few drops of green food dye. I just spread the icing on top, sliced up a few marshmallows and stuck some blue Smarties to them when they were still sticky. You may need to snip a flat bit off the bottom of the marshmallow slices if you don't have a thick layer of icing or the 'eyes' don't stand up properly.
 
 
 
They're really simple cupcakes to both make and decorate and are sure to go down a hit with children and anyone who appreciates all things quirky and cute. They're also great to make with children!
 
I hope you give them a go!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment