Friday 21 June 2013

Perfect Cream Cheese Frostings

I know some people use just cream cheese sweetened with icing sugar to frost their cupcakes, and that's totally fine... sometimes I do that too! It all depends on the level of cream-cheesiness that your cupcake flavour requires.
If using this method I briefly mix the cream cheese so it's softened and add sifted icing sugar to taste. Everyone has different preferences on how sweet they like it so definitely work with your own palate!
 
This recipe works really well on red velvet or cheesecake cupcakes where you really want the cream cheese to be the focus but if you don't need such a heavy cream cheese frosting, I usually mix the cream cheese with a regular buttercream (I've done a post with how I do my regular buttercream).
 
For the quantity I used in the buttercream recipe (250g unsalted butter to 500g icing sugar) I use 200g of full fat cream cheese. I whip the buttercream until it's really fluffy and light then add in the cream cheese. Don't beat it too much as it'll go runny - I'd recommend doing this bit by hand with a spatula as in an electric mixer you run the risk of over-mixing it so unless you're confident with it, err on the side of caution and use your good old trusty arm-power (gently though)! It should still be lovely and thick when you finish mixing - don't be tempted to over-mix it!
 
I love this lighter (tasting but definitely not lighter on the calories!) cream cheese frosting on carrot cake (I have an awesome carrot and apple spice cake I'll post soon) and also my maple and bacon cupcakes among numerous others. If there's such a thing as someone being addicted to cream cheese frosting, then I think I 'suffer' from it (I use the word lightly as I 'suffer' it quite happily indeed).
 
Tips
Make sure your buttercream is reeeeeeally smooth before you add in the cream cheese to stop it going lumpy.
It also helps if both your buttercream and cream cheese are room temperature. Nobody likes an unsoothingly lumpy frosting.
Sift your icing sugar first! In buttercream it's not so imperative but if just using cream cheese and icing sugar it's SO important if you want to avoid a lumpy texture!
Be happy and bake with love - it'll taste so much better!!
 
I hope you love this frosting as much as I do!! Chocolate cream cheese frosting (melted chocolate (as in the first recipe) with just cream cheese and icing sugar) must be my all-time favourite food item (especially on my cheesecake cupcakes) and is an unbeatable pick-me-up for a rainy or depressing day (not necessarily on a cupcake but straight from the bowl if necessary!!)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment