Thursday 29 October 2015

Healthy Banana and Oat Cookies

I love cookies. Who doesn't? I'm trying to cut down on processed foods though, as I'm getting more and more conscious about what I eat. These cookies are super simple. I've played around with different variations on the recipe too. The first ones I made were these cranberry ones. Simply oats, banana and cranberries. Easy huh? I was going to add some orange zest but didn't have any oranges and a walk to the shop in the rain didn't sound too appealing. The second ones I made are chocolate ones. Healthy chocolate cookies! I use raw cacao in my baking instead of cocoa powder. It gives a really rich chocolatey flavour and you don't need to use much at all. It's a bit pricey but I buy in bulk and using it means I can eat more chocolatey bakes without the guilt. It's high in antioxidants and is good for your heart and stuff (I googled it once and was sold but if you want a proper list of why it's good, go ahead and have a look online). 

Ingredients
2 bananas
200g oats
25g cranberries
Zest of 1 orange

Method
1. Peel the bananas and mash them in a bowl.
2. Stir in the oats, cranberries and zest.
3. Roll into 20 small balls and flatten onto baking trays into cookies
4. Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes until they're golden and firm to the touch.
5. Cool on a wire rack and eat!

                                      

Variations

Chocolate and Date Cookies
- Add 25g raw cacao and 25g chopped dates to the mixture.

Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Add 25g raw cacao and the zest of an orange to the mixture.

White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies
- Add 25g white chocolate chips and 25g cranberries to the mixture.



Tips

You can basically add anything you want to these cookies. With my recipes they work out at around 50-55 calories each. Obviously adding chunks of chocolate will increase that but they're still better for you than normal cookies and are low in saturated fat and sugar. I don't feel guilty polishing half a batch of these in one go! They're fab for breakfast on the go or snacks during the day. I even took a load to the cinema with me to avoid the temptation of popcorn and pick and mix! 



No comments:

Post a Comment